Sunday, 3 October 2010


We'd booked this a couple of months ago. Bonehead was in Turkey so it was left to me and Jon to attend.
It was a 'Trugg' outing and we were really looking forward to a day on Thornton reservoir with Mick and his mates.
The weather forecast had looked iffy over  the past few days but Trugg reckoned it would be ok.
The original idea was for about 20 odd of us to fish off the rowing boats and swop boat partners at lunch and fish on.
I picked Jon up at 7.15 in pouring rain and set off down the rain soaked A50 towards Leicestershire.
We laughed about the conditions as my Astra kept on switching off cruise control every time we hit standing water! I decided there was no rush and after what we saw on the way down I'm glad we took it easy.
We had no sooner joined the M1, when the safety car was deployed. We were a couple of cars behind the Police range rover as it brought us to a stop while a right battered motor was dragged to the hard shoulder. No other vehicles involved so obviously a victim of the dreaded aquaplane.
After a lengthy delay we finally reached our destination. It was tipping it down and I felt sorry for the guy (think his name was Ifor), armed with bucket baling out the boats.

This is great fun!
Trugg turned up, leading a convoy of cars and we all made for the hut for a cuppa to discuss conditions and tactics. It was funny really. We had all made an effort to get there but we knew the conditions were against us and we were going to get miserably wet; most were already.

Come on you Blues!

Some went for it! We lagged behind and were the last to get in the boat. Jon coached Matthew Pincett for several years but even he was complaining about the conditions. We did one drift and had had enough! It was miserable and as much as we enjoy fishing we called it a day. To us, if we are not happy then we go. We were soaked to the skin. Some guys had got electric motors which would have helped but even so they must have been drenched.
Jon rowed back and we motored back to Stoke. Another car crash on the M1 north, again it looked like only the one car involved. This one was in the ditch next to the hard shoulder and judging by the static southbound traffic, it must have crossed the central reservation.

Nutters driving at crazy speeds. You couldn't see far in the spray.

Got home and knocked this up. I was inspired by the rain.

Anyway. Sorry we went early lads, but at least we turned up! We went for a quick pint and heard that some roads around Stoke were impassible! Not known that for years.


  1. I was so wet today even my Y-fronts contained 1/2 pint of water and a Greater Crested Grebe !
    What you seemed to have missed was your Cox like mastery of the boat steering and beating the rythm to keep my rowing stroke rate up - when you called out "ram spead" as we neared the jetty I knew it was time to go.
    And you bring anew meening to the art of Trolling !

    The Apprentice

  2. Trolling! God forbid.

    My passenger seat is a soggy mess. We should not have stopped on the way back.

  3. Your latest art-work looks brill - has a Lowry style with a Renior passion for the rain. Do me one with Poppies in a wet French hedgerow please. Everything today seems to have a wet theme !

  4. Sheena, I would only need one colour. I have a tube of raw sienna that needs using up

  5. Awesome picture, i know nowt about art but know what I like!

    I fished all day (9 hours) at Carsington and was wet thru tackling up. We reckon the rain was bouncing 3 inches high of the water for 3 hours solid before it calmed down to "normal" heavy rain! Errwood went up 3 foot just on Sunday and about 8' over the weekend!!!!!!

  6. Hi glow, Thanks for the comment about my picture. Actually, I finished it yesterday and didn't really 'knock it up'. Sold already.

    9 hours in that weather! You are crazier than us!